14 February 2020
Over the last half term, we have asked for two external reviews to be conducted to highlight the achievement and where we can further improve.
I am really pleased to share with you that the feedback we have received has been excellent. On 15 January 2020, an external Behaviour and Attitude Review was carried out by the Headteacher of another secondary academy alongside four other senior members of staff from different academies. Some of the key findings from the report are listed below:
- Students arrive to the academy in an orderly and purposeful way.
- Staff knew student names, were having meaningful chats and were positive about the day ahead.
- Students wore their uniform correctly and looked smart where shirts are tucked in and blazers on.
- Students around the academy before “Line up” were appropriately socialising and all year groups share the same space. There was no evidence of any misbehaviour and there was a calm atmosphere.
- During the break and lunch, students congregate together and socialise well together.
- Throughout the day, lesson changeover were calm and students purposefully moved from one lesson to another without any issues. Staff were at many doors meeting and greeting students.
- In lessons, students presented themselves as “ready to learn”. In a range of subject areas, rapid starts to lessons were accomplished in using the ‘Flying Start’ approach.
- Lessons were well resourced and delivered via a range of different approaches. Students were keen to show their efforts and this was shown in the level of pride in their work.
- Students interviewed were confident and credit to the academy and to themselves.
The main headline from the review is summarised well by the Headteacher conducting the review: “behaviour is really strong.”
Last week we also held a Short Notice Review whereby 37 lessons were observed. The feedback was again very positive. The key strengths observed from the day were that students received a healthy daily ‘diet’ of teaching and learning, high levels of challenge and activities that promoted oracy. Positive student attitudes were observed throughout the day.
We are really pleased with the findings from both reviews and students at Colonel Frank Seely Academy should be proud of the school community they are a part of and which they are helping to shape.
We strongly believe that CFS is the place where your child can flourish and achieve their full potential. I would like to thank you for your continued support for the School and welcome any feedback.
Finally, may I take this opportunity to remind you of some upcoming events next half term:
- Year 7 & 8 STEM Raising Aspirations Roadshow – Monday 24th February
- Year 8 Business/ ICT visit to Cadbury’s World – Wednesday 26th February
- Year 8 Parent’s evening – Thursday 27th February
- National Careers week activities – W/C Monday 2nd March
- Year 11 Mock exams – Monday 2nd March to Friday 13th
- Year 8 Options evening – Thursday 12th March, 7pm
- Year 10 Mock exams – Monday 23rd March to Friday 3rd
- Year 9 Parents evening – Wednesday 25th March
- Easter Holidays – Monday 6th April to Friday 17th April
We hope your son/daughter enjoys the half term break and can come back refreshed and ready for another excellent half term of learning.
Mr J Gale